NORMAN, Okla. – The No. 6 Texas Men’s Golf team carded a 2-under-par 286 on Tuesday to stand in a tie for third place in the team standings following the second round of the NCAA Norman Regional at Jimmie Austin Golf Club. Junior Travis Vick led the Longhorns with a 5-under-par 67 for the second straight day and owns a one-stroke lead in the individual standings entering Wednesday’s final round.
The NCAA Norman Regional features 13 teams and 10 individual players. The low five teams and the low individual not on those five qualifying teams will advance to the NCAA Championship, scheduled for May 27-June 1 at Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale, Ariz.
Auburn posted a 12-under-par 276 on Tuesday and holds the top spot in the team standings with a 36-hole total of 20-under-par 556 (280-276). Regional host and top-ranked Oklahoma is second with a two-round score of 14-under-par 562 (277-285). Texas (282-286) and Ole Miss (287-281) are tied for third at 8-under-par 568, and Utah is fifth at 4-under-par 572 (280-292). The Longhorns have a five-stroke cushion over South Carolina in sixth place at 3-under-par 573 (278-295).
Starting his round Tuesday on the back nine, Vick opened with a birdie on 10 and followed with birdies on 14 and 16 to get to 3-under. He suffered a double-bogey on 17 and made the turn at 1-under. Vick caught fire with three consecutive birdies on holes 3, 4 and 5 and added another birdie on the par-five 8th hole to finish at 5-under for the second straight day.
Vick holds the 36-hole lead in the individual standings at 10-under-par 134 (67-67). Auburn’s JM Butler is one stroke behind Vick at 9-under par 135 (66-69), and Brendan Valdes of Auburn is third at 7-under-par 137 (69-68). Only five individuals among the 75-player field enter tomorrow’s final round at 5-under-par or better.
The NCAA Norman Regional concludes with 18 holes on Wednesday, May 18. Texas will be paired with Auburn and Oklahoma for Wednesday’s final round, and tee times will begin at 8 am Central off the first tee.
- Junior Travis Vick carded a 5-under-par 67 for the second-straight round and holds the individual lead with a two-round score of 10-under-par 134 (67-67) entering Wednesday’s final round. Starting on the back nine on Tuesday, he opened his round with a birdie on 10 and followed with birdies on 14 and 16 to climb to 3-under through his first seven holes. After a double-bogey on 17, he made the turn at 1-under. Vick made three-straight birdies on 3, 4 and 5 and added another birdie on 8 to finish at 5-under.
- Junior Mason Nome recorded an even-par 72 for the second-straight day and is tied for 19th place with a 36-hole score of even-par 144 (72-72). Nome tallied four birdies during his round on Tuesday.
- Senior Pierceson Coody posted an even-par 72 on Tuesday and is tied for 25th at 1-over-par 145 (73-72). After making the turn at 1-over, he carded birdies at 5 and 8 and a bogey on 7 to finish at even-par.
- Senior Parker Coody fired a 3-over-par 75 in his second round and is tied for 37th at 3-over-par 147 (72-75).
- Senior Cole Hammer recorded a 5-over-par 77 on Tuesday and is tied for 43rd at 4-over-par 148 (71-77).